Switching Departments

Hello All!
I was looking at possibly becoming a casting assistant, and was wondering if and how I might move from casting to another department. I like working on set more, but also want to get my foot in the door. I'm looking to hopefully become a DoP or something similar, but not sure casting will help me get there. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• There are production assistants in each department. There are casting PA's, camera PA's and so on. If you build up your resume and find the right people, you could eventually become what you want to be.

For me, I've been working as a production assistant, but recently was getting art PA jobs. That could potentially lead to more art department work or even a props master, but majority of jobs want experience art department heads for their job as opposed to an art PA. It's all about finding someone willing to give you a chance to move on up. It's easier if you work for a company and build your way up there, but if you're a freelancer you have your work cut out for you. Patience is key.