Half Day rates

edited September 2017 in General Production

is it me or am I seeing more and more posts on SMU asking for half day rate quotes. Since there is no way I can book work for the other half a day then surely there is no such thing as a half day rate. Add travel to and from shoot, wether you are shooting four hours, six, ten or twelve, it's still the only thing I'll be doing that day.

Comments

• This too is a concern--the $11/hour for 8 hours pattern. On recent work for A&E, I had to block the whole day but only got paid for 2 hours. I no longer block days for anything other than a full day. I encourage others to do the same.

I understand the premise, not wanting to pay a full "guaranteed" day rate if all you have to do is a post-wrap airport run, but the fact is, the rest of the day can't be booked on our end so it ends up as a loss. And for people who do this full-time, these losses can't be absorbed long-term.

Also, in my case, it was literally a bait & switch were I was verbally promised a full day when I accepted the booking but the contract had an hourly rate. By then it would've looked unprofessional to back out.

The right crew will actually save you money in the long run because they have experience making choices that do that. If networks want the kind of talent that makes for a smooth, cost-effective production, they need to budget for that.

• Lyn Nieman I understand your situation and if A&E promised you a full day and they pulled a bait and switch, is it really unprofessional of you to question their tactic and challenge them? Who is more unprofessional? I would say the production company. You had every right to back out after all they were the ones unprofessional and they deceived you. I would suggest any person promised a full day and then told that's not the case, to refuse the job. If more people stand up to these tactics, the more production companies will be held accountable for their deceptive actions.

• You’re right, Jeremy. I definitely will speak up right at the time of booking and ask if they break out the day. It was partly my fault that time because I was jumping from one production straight to another and I didn’t read the deal memo until the night before.

The language is clearly written right into the contract but it was a bit of a “bait and switch” in that the PM only mentioned the day rate on that booking call.

The contract, however, stated the “day rate (for anticipated 12 hours)” but then a few paragraphs below stated $11 for the first eight hours.

• Lyn,
    I think California law requires that it's specified how people are paid. Even out of state, they pretty much follow the same rules (most likely for simplicity and since they use CA for lawsuits/arbitrations if there's ever a legal disagreement between you and the prod. co)
    If you're doing a day rate of $150/12, it has to be broken down: In your case, it was $11 for the first 8, as specified a few paragraphs down. After 8, you're paid at time and a half ($16.50) for a 12 hour total of $154 (which is what you probably actually were getting). After the 12 hours, you'd get double time of $22/hour.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and the OP that "half days" are a complete waste of time. If you have an understanding with the PM/PC, write it into your deal memo. You need to speak up. When I Coordinate or PM, I take no offense to someone who brings these things up. It's just business. If anyone has an issue with you're speaking up, you probably don't want to work with them. NO half days, ever! lol