Question about Producer Titles

edited January 19 in General Production

Do "Producer" titles mean anything consistent anymore? Used to be, the title "Producer" was the top person running the show. Over the years, we've added "Executive Producer", "Co-Ep", "Supervising Producer", "Senior Producer", "Series Producer", and of course "Story Producer", "Producer", "Field Producer", etc. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the fact that reality shows are unfortunately non-union. This means DGA and WGA members must be credited as some form of "Producer". I have several "Supervising Producer" credits for when I was actually the showrunner. Nowadays, "Supervising Producer" can mean anything from logistical producer to writer/director, etc. Are there industry standards to any of these titles today are are titles always open to interpretation? I have heard that in the future, as budgets get smaller, there will only be 2 titles/positions per show: The Showrunner and the Runner.

Comments

• Without the governance of labor unions and the standards and practices they proscribe, the producers of non-scripted entertainment are able to trade titles in lieu of greater monetary compensation. Therefore, you see a significantly greater number of "producer" titles given. Unfortunately, this tends to elevate one's credit currency beyond the experience actually earned.

• Tom...great question. It seems that the term Co-producer is often confused by many to think its 1/2 of the producing team if there are two producers. From my experience to use this title properly you have two or more Producers that make up a part of a producing team underneath a Producer and are tasked with certain pieces of the production. So if you have two Producers producing a movie they would just be called Producers not Co-Producers.

In terms of Feature Films here is the general run down

Executive Producer - Found the $$ or is an investor
    Producer - In charge creatively and for the overall project
    Line Producer - Logistics, Budgets, Schedules, Crew etc
    Co-Producer - Working with another Co-Producer to accomplish a number of tasks
    Associate Producer - Often helping with development, post etc...

Reality TV is primarily the market that uses Field Producers, Story Producers, Segment Producers etc..

• Well articulated Brandon.