Choosing your Hamu

When you're seeking your Hair and Makeup Artist what are your determining factors? Does their rate have a big impact on who you choose?

What piece of advice would you give Hair and Makeup Artists?

Comments

• It depends on the project. I would love to see diversity (ethnically, daily makeup looks, prosthetic application and painting work). That would be the ultimate portfolio.

• Is it not HMU?

• Acronyms most used in production are HMU or HMUA -- HAMU is definitely NOT a term. When considering a crew member, check their credits, portfolio and references from Production Managers who have worked with them on set. If all that looks good, the rate you should offer is based on the budget of your production. Offer the HMU the best rate your budget will allow. Non-union 10 or 12 hour day rate industry standard is $550, and has been for years. Offer anything less, and expect the HMU to come back with a counter offer. I think my point here is that the rate isn't the #1 concern. Will this HMU serve the needs of your production? Do they have a good track record with other PM's on set? Those things are more important than the rate. Someone who has a track record of being awesome is worth the money. This person is touching your talent. Physically touching them. We're not talking about a PA going on coffee runs here. If you want happy talent, don't cheap out - and check references.

@Adjoa Courtney said:
    When you're seeking your Hair and Makeup Artist what are your determining factors? Does their rate have a big impact on who you choose?

What piece of advice would you give Hair and Makeup Artists?

• Let me just clear something up. I've been in the Industry 10 years and yes I have always used the term HMU. Since its such a big deal on this post Let me clear it up for you. New artists are now using the term HAMU(look all over instagram) I stay in trend to remain relevant.

And as a non union makeup artist I still expect a day rate at at least $800.00. Some production companies I am willing to work with the budget depending on the project.

• Instagram lingo isn't carrying over into the tv production and film world, in fact, it's frowned upon. The only artists I know who are pulling an $800 day rate are repped by agencies and doing print/ad/commercial work. I'd love to know in what market $800 is the "least" on non-union day play gigs, because I'm moving there, like yesterday...

@Adjoa Courtney said:
    Let me just clear something up. I've been in the Industry 10 years and yes I have always used the term HMU. Since its such a big deal on this post Let me clear it up for you. New artists are now using the term HAMU(look all over instagram) I stay in trend to remain relevant.

And as a non union makeup artist I still expect a day rate at at least $800.00. Some production companies I am willing to work with the budget depending on the project.

• Clearly you're in the wrong city. I rarely not get my guarantee of at least 800. No agency representation or union just pure talent and reputation. I'm never frowned upon and actually sought out so something must be working...

• I'm in Los Angeles. So, maybe that's the "wrong city". LOL! It's only the number one market for media production in the entire world.

I didn't say YOU were frowned upon, I said Instagram is frowned upon in the real world.

Why the attitude?
    This is why I hate forums...
    Everyone has a chip on their shoulder...
    I'm out.

• No attitude just facts

• @Whitney Costner said:
    I'm in Los Angeles. So, maybe that's the "wrong city". LOL! It's only the number one market for media production in the entire world.

I didn't say YOU were frowned upon, I said Instagram is frowned upon in the real world.

Why the attitude?
    This is why I hate forums...
    Everyone has a chip on their shoulder...
    I'm out.

I'm with Whitney here.

$800/day seems a bit too high for the minimum you could get. Unless you are doing some high end fashion shoot with top models and/or a national make up brand.
    $500/day is a closer rate in ATL, but I think even in LA you would get something very similar.

• Wow I couldn't even imagine. I'm in NC and I never have an issue with my rate... I have done very few $500/day gigs. I do mainly commercials and corporate productions. I guess the budget is just different everywhere