When should you hire a Set Medic?

edited February 2017 in Stunts

Hi Everyone,

I've worked in a bunch of jobs as a medic, and I even have a crew so I take it upon myself to be prepared for just about any job.

Here are some basic job examples that I can suggest you should consider a back up medic for.
1.) All Jobs
2.) If you have a large call (lots of cast and crew)
3.) Fight Scenes.
4.) Survival Shows
5.) High Risk Stunts
6.) And much more.

Generally non-union sets like to let their budgets decide the level of set medic they have. That in itself is a rookie mistake.

You should make sure to ask the right questions.
When you interview ask for:
Proof of certifications.
If they have experience working as a medic in productions.
Do they have a kit?
Do they have an incident report?

And BTW!
Once you hire your Medic, make sure he/she gets a radio!

Comments

• Not sure if this is a plug, and if so how I feel about plugs in this new forum, but regardless this is some great information. Would have loved to have this information when I LP'd my first low budget indie two years ago. Because it was so low budget, I was able to get by on the days with no high-risk elements on my own as I have my EMT-basic and a kit, but knew to get a pro on set the days I had fight scenes. Nice of you to put the useful bullet points in there too.

• edited February 2017

Everyone's just so focused on THEIR role, that no one really thinks about anyone else. I mean sure sometimes its an easy day, but the medic is still working through lunch, and is the professional voice that will be able to deem a scene, or action to be unsafe. The best medic is not biased by the person who cuts the check, instead he or she is conscious of everyone.
    Like for example... Say you just flipped a car. Now its on its side, and the next shot is someone laying on the ground next to it. The medic is the guy that says "ok guys time to secure that car to make sure it doesn't fall on the talent!"
    There are always ways to cheat a shot... :/

Besides, I have worked enough jobs to tell you that the crew is totally thankful that the production has considered their safety. People come up to me and talk about stories all the time. Its a moral booster if you ask me.

@ Caleb - There's nothing wrong with basic kits. But who will take time TIME to monitor the patient/victim? Doing two jobs is tough!

As always I am excited to see when productions have their own first aid kits anyways just incase.

• Medics for stunts are obvious, but many people don't realize how dangerous basic day-to-day set activities are. A tumble from the back of the lift gate of a truck can be serious. Same with dropping lights on a (closed-toe) foot. Early/Late/Long hours, hard labor, heavy equipment; IMO set medics should always be on set. Full-disclosure, I haven't always been able to hire a medic for all of my own shoots due to (I'm embarrassed to say) cost.

• edited February 2017

There are ways to hire medics that really effective and convenient. ---> No minimum hours, no kit fees.

@ Ken-- Yes you're absolutely right. That would pretty much end anyone's day. Besides, sometimes people bring their own injuries from daily living to set!

• edited February 2017

Tonight talent landed an accidental punch to the face during a "typical" stunt "scuffle" scene, and guess who had to go in and help fix it. Yup you guessed it the medic. True Story.

Fix injuries. Keep rolling. Document everything. Hire a medic.

• That talent might now be scarred for life. So much for that head shot.